Transit Advertising: A Sustainable Marketing Opportunity
As environmental consciousness continues to drive consumer culture, businesses have an incredible opportunity to embrace sustainable practices and “do well by doing good”. This call for sustainability is especially to younger generations, who actively seek brands that align with their values. Recent data underscores a profound shift in the advertising landscape, with a growing emphasis on sustainability in media buying decisions. Some stats to consider:
Amidst this transformative shift, one of the biggest challenges for advertisers lies in balancing effective marketing with sustainable strategies. While digital advertising continues to take the largest share of market spend, Out-of-Home (OOH) advertising remains the only traditional media format that is growing and with continued urbanization there is every reason to expect OOH to play and increasingly pivotal role in our future. Within the spectrum of OOH formats, transit advertising is a beacon of sustainability, perhaps the only truly pro-environmental media format, and it is all too often overlooked.
Public Transportation and its impact on the Environment
Public transportation is not only one of the most eco-friendly travel options, but it also contributes significantly to the reduction of carbon emissions, fostering a cleaner and greener environment. Consider the following statistics:
- A single person who switches from a 20-mile commute to public transportation, can reduce their annual CO2 emissions by 20 pounds per day, or more than 48,000 pounds in a year. (American Public Transportation Association)
- U.S. public transportation annually saves a 37 million metric tons of carbon dioxide, equivalent to the electricity emissions of 4.9 million households. (Source: American Public Transportation Association)
- Public transportation saves the U.S. an impressive equivalent of 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually. (Source: Federal Transit Administration)
Moreover, the efficiency of public transportation in reducing emissions is truly remarkable:
- A fully occupied bus demonstrates a fuel efficiency 6x greater than the average single-occupancy automobile. (Source: Environmental and Energy Study Institute)
Transit Advertising Works
Beyond the myriad benefits related to sustainability, transit advertising offers unique advantages that set it apart from all other mediums including other OOH mediums. Transit advertising:
- Is cost effective and consistently demonstrates one of the lowest CPMs in the media marketplace.
- Provides extensive reach to diverse and large audiences across a wide network of routes and destinations across a market.
- Can be targeted based on specific demographics and geographic areas.
- Is fun, and memorable. In fact, numerous studies have shown that creative advertising on moving media increases recall
“At Vector Media, we are committed to driving sustainable marketing practices that not only benefit the environment but also resonate with conscious consumers. By embracing transit advertising, advertisers can align with their consumers, support the public good and leverage one of the most tried and true media strategies to exist.” – Marc Borzykowski CEO, Vector Media